VCMI appoints Expert Advisory Group ahead of Claims Code
18th April 2023, London – The Voluntary Carbon Markets Integrity Initiative (VCMI) has today announced the appointment of its Expert Advisory Group (EAG) ahead of the launch of its Claims Code of Practice later this year. The Group has been formed to advise and consult with the VCMI Secretariat and Steering Committee.
It includes experienced environmental market and social policy practitioners from across the globe, as well as Indigenous and community leaders from voluntary carbon market project locations.
Chaired by VCMI’s Technical Director for Markets and Standards, Ana Carolina Avzaradel Szklo, the EAG will work closely with VCMI on its mission to enable high-integrity voluntary carbon markets. The Group will help to bring a broader market perspective to the initiative and act as a peer review mechanism for decisions pertaining to the Claims Code of Practice.
Ana Carolina commented: “The knowledge and experience required to generate an operable and effective Claims Code of Practice is significant. At VCMI, we know that the establishment of a diverse Expert Advisory Group is critical to the success of any project we deliver.”
“It is wonderful to be working with these remarkable representatives from some of the largest global organizations as well as experienced environmental and community leaders. The Group is unified on the need for a comprehensive demand-side Claims Code that can deliver integrity and confidence to the voluntary carbon market.”
EAG participants were invited to join the Group due to the range of expertise they bring from across key sectors and geographies. Members include carbon market experts, environmental and sustainability professionals, Indigenous community leaders and legal and accounting practitioners.
VCMI’s EAG members
- Alexia Kelly, Managing Director Carbon Policy and Markets Initiative, High Tide Foundation
- Almir Narayamoga Suruí, Chief of the Paiter Suruí People
- Andy Kierney, Director, ESG Reporting and Assurance, KPMG
- Clarice Wambua, Partner, Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr
- Hanna-Mari Ahonen, Senior Consultant, Perspectives Climate Group
- Hannah Hislop, Global Sustainability Senior Manager, Unilever
- Jon Williams, Global Banking and Capital Markets ESG Leader, PwC
- Kelley Kizzier, Director of Corporate Actions and Markets, Bezos Earth Fund
- Kentaro Takahashi, Deputy Director, Institute of Global Environment Strategies, Japan
- Leticia Guimaraes, Senior Global Technical Advisor, UNDP
- Lisa DeMarco, Senior Partner and CEO, Resilient LLP
- Luanne Sieh, Senior Managing Director, Head of Group Sustainability, CIMB Bank
- Nicolette Bartlett, Chief Impact Officer, CDP
- Paul Bockmeyer, Project Officer – Sustainability and Green Claims, BEUC
- Peter Browning, Founder and CEO, Browning Environmental Communications
- Polly Hemming, Director, Climate and Energy Program, Australian Institute
- Tom Owino, Project and Technical Director, ClimateCare
- Xavier Erbai Matsutaro, Head, Office of Climate Change, Palau