By Mathew Carr
July 27, 2023 — The challenge with allowing India to have a lower carbon price (as suggested in the Indian Express linked below) is that a lower price will deter investors that want their clean investments protected by a HIGH carbon price … the investment will keep flowing to oecd countries if India’s co2 level isn’t high enough to encourage green hydrogen, for instance.
- #India should see the higher co2 price under CBAM (see below) as an opportunity because it will mean it ends up with a cleaner, more modern economy AND have extra revenue (from selling co2 allowances) to protect its many vulnerable people.
- It’s crucial India installs protection for poor people.
- Rich people / corporations must pay the full cost of ALL their climate damage, which will provide funds to help the vulnerable.
- Yes the EU should treat India with extra respect because of its low emissions per capita
- CBAM: EU’s carbon border adjustment mechanism coming in gradually …starting in October
#euets #octt #oott #indiaets
See this from the link above